MABOPA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE 2013/2015
Vice President : Mr. Raymond Yeo
Vice President :
Honorary Secretary: Mr. Arief Hakim Sani
Honorary Treasurer: Mr. Kow Ching Chuan
- Mr. Samuel Sum Kown Cheek
- Mr. Chia Hai Chew
- Ms. Rachel Poon
- Ms. Rozida Ismail
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To encourage the widest possible spread of printed books
- To foster the development of the publishing trade in Malaysia
- To foster national consciousness through the publishing industry
- To encourage Malaysian authorship
- To encourage the improvement of the technical and professional qualifications of the members of the Association
- To promote and protect by all lawful means the interests of the members of the Association
- To examine all legislative proposals likely to affect publishers and the book trade, and to take such measures in support thereof, in opposition thereto, or to secure amendments thereto, as may be expedient.
- To study and resolve all problems related to publishing
- To encourage fair trade practices and maintain high standards of workmanship and service in the business
- To cooperate with other associations representing allied businesses and with organizations of an educational or cultural nature to inculcate good reading habits.
CODE OF ETHICS FOR PUBLISHERS
- To establish a common code of Ethics for all publishers so that the interest of the trade are protected;
- To provide guidelines to publishers in maintaining a high standard of morality conforming to the government policy of a healthy reading society;
- To safeguard against unfair practices and maintain a high standard of workmanship and service in order to develop a healthy publishing industry;
- To promote and protect by all lawful means the interest of all publishers;
- To recognize the individual publisher's interest within the publishing industry;
- To develop mutual respect and cooperation among publishers;
- To improve the technical and educational qualifications of publishers and their staff and to initiate research into the resolution of problems affecting the production and distribution of books;
- To assist in the efforts towards expanding the quantity, range and quality of reading materials throughout the country;
- To cooperate with the government and other organizations in promoting Malaysia literary and academic work;
- To explore the various means by which book publishers can contribute towards fostering national consciousness through their activities.
Although it is not possible to have standards covering fully all aspects of publishing practices, it is necessary that all practices be conducted in accordance with basic principles as follows: Publishers should maintain the highest degree of responsibility and ethical standards in all their dealings Publishers should conform to the principle of fair competition. Publishers ought to adopt a positive attitude with regards to the rights of readers and customers.